A long tradition of quality
From Wool Trade to Global Leader
With the production of plastic boxes for car boots, Carbox has developed into a global market leader in its industry over the course of its 100-plus years in existence. The company's success story began in 1908, when Ludwig Jorns and Otto Vahland founded their wool trading company Jorns & Vahland in Bremen.
In 1945, the qualified wool merchant Carl Bellinger took over the business. In 1949, he married Renate Vahland, Otto Vahland's daughter. Due to his involvement in the wool trade, Carl Bellinger had contacts in the wool, and later, the plastic industries. In the 1950s, he procured a "patent for a product designed to protect car boots", and in Frankfurt he developed a deep-drawing machine with which he could manufacture the plastic tubs.
By 1963, Carl Bellinger had long moved on from the wool trade and moved the production of Carbox to Bremen, and then six years later to Achim. His son Stefan joined the business in 1982 and became Managing Director in 1987 and later partner.
He built up the company to a global market leader, the exports alone have risen to more 50 percent over the past 25 years. The number of employees rose from nine to 30. Carbox is today a tier-1 company and, as a result, is a direct supplier of automobile manufacturers such as BMW, Nissan, GM, Porsche, VW and Audi, as well as of the independent automobile accessory market.